How to remove common stains from your carpet
Spillages are inevitable, but it’s important you know how to remove common stains from your carpet without causing further damage…
When a spill occurs and lands on a carpet, most peoples first reaction is to grab a cloth or sponge and scrub vigorously before applying washing up liquid or some kind of shop bought carpet detergent and scrubbing away again. This is the worst thing you could do!
Despite many products being labelled as “safe for carpets & upholstery” it very often isn’t the case. Some of these products are very harsh and are not suitable for use with certain fibers or specific stains.
We are often called to homes where customers have first attempted to remove a stain with these products. Common problems include colour loss, sticky carpet and stains that have been “set” by use of an inappropriate chemical; Once a stain has been “set” there is little chance of effective removal!
Here’s are the do’s and dont’s for dealing with stains and spills:
- Use a clean white cloth or towel
- Never scrub the carpet
- Scrape or blot any excess prior to treatment
- Do not use too much water and over-wet the carpet
- Always test any cleaning product on a small hidden area of carpet to test reaction
- Do not use washing up liquid, washing powders, bleach or disinfectant
- Work from the outside of the stain inward to avoid spreading the stain
- Apply the cleaning product to the cloth and not directly onto the carpet or upholstery
- Encourage quick drying and keep the carpet of fabric as dry as possible
- Deal with the stain immediately
Putting it into practice
Applying these rules to common spills such as alcohol, tea & coffee, here is how you would deal with these stains safely and effectively:
- Blot up as much of spillage as possible with clean white cloth
- Use a Vinegar Solution, a small amount at a time (working out to in!)
- Continue to blot the stain with dry cloths until most of stain is removed
- Then, mix water and white vinegar at a ratio of 4:1
- Pour mixture into a spray bottle and spray over the area
- Blot area again to remove excess moisture
- Spread kitchen towels over the area and place a weight on top of the towels
- Leave for a couple of hours
This procedure can be repeated a couple of times if necessary.
If you would like emergency advice on stain removal, then please feel free to give us a call. We do not charge for stain removal advice.