7 Carpet Cleaning Secrets (As Used By The Pros)
If you’ve read any of our previous articles, you’ll probably be aware of the value of regular professional carpet cleaning in prolonging the lifespan of your carpets.
But how do you maintain the appearance and condition of your carpets in between professional cleans? And how do you tackle spillages and stains?
Here’s how we recommend you deal with stains and keep your carpets looking like new.
1. Blot Stains – Don’t Scrub Or Rub
If you need to tackle a spillage, simply blot the spill or stain from the outside-in using a clean cloth or paper towel. Don’t be tempted to scrub or agitate the stain as this can damage the carpet fibres and cause the stain to spread to the surrounding area.
2. Never Use A Shop Bought Stain Remover
Without mentioning any particular brands, we see the damage these products cause every week. Not only are they usually ineffective, they also often cause irreparable damage to carpets to carpets and fabrics.
If unsure, just use plain cold water, a mild vinegar solution, or ask us for a bottle of our safe professional stain remover. Avoid any stain removal product sold in high street stores and supermarkets.
3. Easily Remove Wax Using Heat
Many of our customers have the odd candle wax spill here and there. And at first attempt, it can appear impossible to remove without pulling a bunch of fibres out with it! But candle wax is usually easily removed by safely applying heat. Simply place a clean cloth over the wax that is embedded into the carpet and place a warm iron on top of the cloth to heat the wax. Then use a blunt knife or similar instrument to scrape off the wax.
4. Vacuum Regularly
It’s just good common sense to vacuum your carpets every few days. Regular vacuuming keeps your carpets looking great, and more importantly, removes the dust and soiling that agitates and degrades the carpet fibres. Adhering to this simple step will add years to the life of your carpets.
5. Invest In Quality Carpet & Fabric Protection
Carpet protection such as Scotchgard helps to protect your carpets and upholstery from spills becoming permanent stains and makes them easier to remove. It also helps prevent dry soils from sticking to the carpet fibres and acting as an abrasive. If you’ve invested in high quality carpets, then a good stain protector is worth the small cost.
6. Follow A Proven Safe & Effective Stain Removal Process
Here’s how you can safely deal with many common spills and stains using vinegar and water:
- Blot up the immediate visible spillage with a clean white cloth or paper towel
- Continue to blot the stain with dry cloths until as much as possible of the surface stain is removed
- Then, mix fresh water and white vinegar at a ratio of 4:1
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and spray over the area a small amount at a time
- Blot the area to remove excess moisture and repeat by separating and blotting until the stain has been removed
- Spread kitchen towels over the area and place a weight on top of the towels to absorb and dry
- Leave for a couple of hours – if there is no transfer of stain onto the paper and no stain is visible, then it has been successfully removed. If any stain remains, call a professional carpet cleaner to remove the stain
7. Invest In Professional Carpet Cleaning (Every 6 – 18 Months)
If you’re living alone without pets, a thorough deep clean every 18 – 24 months should suffice. But if you have a busy family home then it makes sense to thoroughly cleanse your carpets at least annually (and perhaps every 6 months if you have dogs or cats). The difference this will make to the appearance of your home is enormous.
Leaving it too late to get your carpets cleaned will cause damage to the fibres and can somewhat hinder the results of the clean.
Indeed, experience shows us that our most frequent repeat customers have the best looking carpets and that they last for many years longer!
For a free quotation for carpet cleaning in Swansea, Bridgend, Cardiff and throughout South Wales, call us today on 0800 028 2788